Saturday, November 26, 2005

Insomniablog

Well, here I am again, having an insomniac attack. My mind is refusing to relax and let me have some peace. Oddly enough, I saw a Scientific American in the PX with an article on black holes, and more specifically how space-time may be a kind of fluid. Why is this odd? Only because it completely fits into the novel I am writing. In fact I had worked out some interesting theories and supposition for my book based on that very subject. I had no earthly idea it was being researched.

Basically the premise is that sound waves in a fluid behave exactly like light waves in space. The research was directed that way due to the incompatibility of general relativity and quantum mechanics. (You know, gravity, general relativity and space-time being curved, which doesn’t lend itself to quantum mechanics)

Thus far the research seems to contradict Einstein’s theory, and suggests that may be granular like a material fluid. The research seems to support Dr. Stephen Hawking’s theories regarding black holes. The point of all this you ask? It seems to make the science fiction of my novel into science, and provides a great deal of interesting reading and research for my book.

This is a double edged sword however, due to the fact that now I will have a great deal of revising and fact checking to do, to ensure accuracy. As I have stated before, writing a book is one of the most difficult tasks I have ever undertaken. I suppose many folks think that science fiction stories are completely make believe, and it would therefore be easy to create them. This is absolutely not true. The best science fiction stories contain a great deal of theoretical science as well as science fact.

This gives these stories a believability and realism that causes the reader to become fully immersed and involved in the story. I can only hope to achieve this effect with my novel, and I am working hard toward that goal. I do suppose there is a time when I need to stop the revising and let the story flow to finish it. However I am a stickler for detail. I want scientists and laymen alike to enjoy the story.

Perhaps I should unfuck myself and take some mathematics classes. I seem to have a knack for science and physics. It’s that math part that whips my ass. Then I could accurately troubleshoot my own work? Now there’s a thought. Why does my brain work this way? Perhaps I’ll never know.

The most difficult thing for me to understand is why is it so difficult to get the story from my mind to the written word. In my head the entire story is all George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg. I can see the worlds in my head, the characters, the objects, everything. The problem is getting from there to here in a manner which others will understand.

It may be clear in my mind, and a clear story to me, but I have to present it to everyone else. Therein lies the rub. I have copious notes and other jottings, but good luck in organizing those! The NSA should hire me to create code. My notes alone are unbreakable. Well, I am going to try to get some shuteye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home