Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Indiscipline??

Monday morning at 0530 this week one of my favorite things happened. The Brigade Sergeant Major had a "talk" with the NCOs of the two companies here to discuss soldier "indiscipline." It was the standard speech outlining all the various things that occur and that soldiers do which is unacceptable behavior etc, with the basic premise being that it is the fault of the NCOs.

It is our fault because we don't watch them closely enough, we don't rigidly enforce standards, we don't get involved enough in their lives, we don't walk through the barracks enough etc. Basically the NCOs are failures and responsible for the lack of individual discipline within the ranks.

These types of speeches and accusations make me angry, and are disturbing to me on several levels, and I do in fact take them personally. Let me outline why, and perhaps readers can comment as to whether or not I am wrong.

The problem in a nutshell is accountability and individual responsibility. I disagree with the senior leadership's claims that this problems are systemic and related to low level leadership failures for this reason. Specifically, holding soldiers accountable IMMEDIATELY for their actions.

In today's US Army I have to generate such a tremendous amount of paperwork before a soldier will be punished, removed from service, or otherwise corrected that it becomes a training and mission distractor to start the process. I can't get my command (NCO or Officer chain) to support my recommendations and decisions regarding these soldiers, and therefore it becomes useless for me to try.

Instead of my training and experience being the deciding factor in the recommendation for UCMJ or other punishment, and or removal from service, I am asked what I did to rehabilitate these soldiers, and I am told that I am to hard on them, and I am "picking on them."

The argument is always presented that these soldiers cost a great deal to train and get into the Army, and that every effort should be made to make them soldier. The problem is this: Daily there are more restrictions placed on our authority, and more rights granted to the soldier. The soldiers word is often taken above the NCOs, and therefore no motivation to behave properly.

The more time I have to spend correcting a poor soldier, those that daily demonstrate they don't want to comply, is that much less time I have to spend training quality soldiers who do display the motivation and desire to be a soldier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home