Tuesday, November 02, 2004

A question for the masses, Part II

Greetings and salutations web junkies, I would be remiss in my blogging duties if I didn't post and let you know what occurred on the "scheduled power outage" day.

After completely rearranging my schedule, adjusting which jobs and taskings were to be completed first, re-allocating my soldiers time, and unpacking and connecting the portable generator operated welding equipment, and preparing to complete some jobs in "field" conditions, NOTHING happened.

No power loss, no maintenance crews, nothing. Whatever it was that required so much pre planning and coordination, whatever was in such a state of disrepair that it required the installation to be without power, never happened!

The next time I receive a memo requesting permission to shut down the power, the answer will be a resounding no! I understand the need to work with and respect civilian workers, and also to adjust to the fact that they are not in the military. However, it occurs to me that without the military being here, there would in fact be no job for them to have, and further, this climate of political correctness has gotten out of hand.

While I do believe that my soldiers and I as military members need to show due respect to the civilians, what of them? I think they need to understand and realize the nature of the business of the military, and the constraints that we work under. My world is a zero tolerance for defects environment. A place where complacency and stupidity has a tendency to get people killed... In other words serious business.

If I was given a mission, made all the arrangements and coordination to accomplish it, and then just didn't show up, that could very well end my career. For these civilians, it wont happen again until the next time.

I think that the civilian government employee system needs to be re-worked. Its time that civilian employees of the government be held to the same standard as military members. We are all serving the same government, and whether they acknowledge it or not, they too can cause lives to be lost or saved by the quality and timeliness of their support to the armed forces.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home